To use the Rust rules, add the following to your
WORKSPACE file to add the external repositories for the Rust toolchain:
load("@bazel_tools//tools/build_defs/repo:http.bzl", "http_archive") http_archive( name = "rules_rust", sha256 = "531bdd470728b61ce41cf7604dc4f9a115983e455d46ac1d0c1632f613ab9fc3", strip_prefix = "rules_rust-d8238877c0e552639d3e057aadd6bfcf37592408", urls = [ # `main` branch as of 2021-08-23 "https://github.com/bazelbuild/rules_rust/archive/d8238877c0e552639d3e057aadd6bfcf37592408.tar.gz", ], ) load("@rules_rust//rust:repositories.bzl", "rust_repositories") rust_repositories()
The rules are under active development, as such the lastest commit on the
main branch should be used.
main is only tested against
4.0.0 as the
minimum supported version of Bazel. Though previous versions may still be
functional in certain environments.
- defs: standard rust rules for building and testing libraries and binaries.
- rust_doc: rules for generating and testing rust documentation.
- rust_clippy: rules for running clippy.
- rust_fmt: rules for running rustfmt.
- rust_proto: rules for generating protobuf. and gRPC stubs.
- rust_bindgen: rules for generating C++ bindings.
- rust_wasm_bindgen: rules for generating WebAssembly bindings.
- cargo: Rules dedicated to Cargo compatibility. ie:
You can also browse the full API in one page.
- crate_universe: A repository rule for fetching dependencies from a crate registry.
- rust_analyzer: rules for generating
rust-project.jsonfiles for rust-analyzer
Specifying Rust version
To build with a particular version of the Rust compiler, pass that version to
rust_repositories(version = "1.53.0", edition="2018")
As well as an exact version,
version can be set to
"beta". If set to these values,
iso_date must also be set:
rust_repositories(version = "nightly", iso_date = "2021-06-16", edition="2018")
rustfmt_version may also be configured:
rust_repositories(rustfmt_version = "1.53.0")
Currently, the most common approach to managing external dependencies is using
cargo-raze to generate
BUILD files for Cargo crates.